vendredi 10 février 2012

Mysore To Trivandrum Bus adventure 24th December 2011

Arrive at the bus station at the crack of dawn. Next Bus 19h.Ayee. 2 buses possible. Go for bus to Calicut 120 rupees. It’s a fast bus. 6 hours later we arrive! On the bus, feel like i'm on one of those funfair rides you pay 5 euros to be scared out of your wits for 5 minutes. Only this journey is much cheaper and much longer! The bus drivers seems to be blind to the fast oncoming  buses as he overtakes and beeps the horn- they drive head on(footloose style) until the very last minutes, when someone , usually the smaller party gives way to the other vehicle.
I have a comfortable seat beside 2 indian ladies.Oh the road to Calicut. 200km. Later on, there are 5 of us in this seat for three. The people look beautiful. Happy. At the bus stop, the bus driver, very macho?  indicates where I can eat.I'm thrown up a spicy sardine with a chapatti. I attempt to eat it but its so bloody hot, I can’t- the indians watch me and laugh. I try to save the chapatti from the red curry so that I can eat it later with some melted chocolate! Chapati and chocolate. The road is long and winding. Monkeys watch the passing trucks. We come to a stop every 5 minutes, engine off – due to traffic jams on the hairpin bends. The bus almost goes over the cliff- every corner anxious , curious heads pop their head out the window. Later on, a young Christian couple with 2 children are beside me. They celebrate christmas and midnight mass. I am surprised. Apparently there’s a very high number of Christians in Kerala. Later on in the night I see beautiful stars(the ornamental kind) everywhere. The bus breaks down so looks like im going to be on this bus for Christmas eve. Baked banana and mango juice for dinner.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Remarque : Seul un membre de ce blog est autorisé à enregistrer un commentaire.